A lot of New Yorkers are concerned right now about COVID-19, and as a Naturopath, I recommend some simple and affordable ways to make yourself less susceptible, and which are generally universal. If you suffer from autoimmunity or any other chronic illness dependent on your immune system, please contact your health care provider before taking any of the following:
1. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) has antiviral properties and has been successful in killing the Herpes virus. I recommend 1,000mg per day. A brand with bioflavonoids is even best, and can help combat seasonal allergies.
2. Thieves Oil is a blend of essential oils containing antiviral and antibacterial properties. Directions are to put it under your nose and on your temples. Use it sparingly, as it does have volatile oils and may irritate the skin. It is a combination of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils. It was used during The Plague by grave robbers who supposedly did not contract the disease, hence the name. There is now adequate research to suggest that these oils are effective against pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
3. Most people in this day and age should be on a probiotic supplement. If you have ever taken an antibiotic, you should be on a probiotic. If you have experienced constipation and/or diarrhea for unknown reasons, it could be due to lack of probiotics in your gut. Our immune systems live in our intestines, so having a varied and abundant source of beneficial bacteria is key to fighting COVID-19. If you have SIBO or recurrent yeast infections, please consult your health practitioner before using.
4. Do your best to modulate stress. Stress is one of the worst impositions on one’s immune system and life expectancy. There is a mushroom called Reishi, which is a powerful adaptogen and also works amphoterically on the immune system. Other adaptogens include but are not limited to: Astragalus, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, and certain types of Ginseng. 500 -1000 mg of the powdered herb is a good start. If you are on medication, please consult with your healthcare practitioner before taking any herb.
5. Remember to maintain social distancing- 6 feet, and to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Here is a fun message on hand washing from Alton Brown, enjoy!
Noreen Kelly, ND